Sunday, October 22, 2006

...And a good politician says goodbye



I don't think Joey (or Nur for that matter) care about this, but i am so incrediably disillusioned by Natasha Stott Despoja's decision to quit federal politics. She was the one who really got me interested in Australian politics, not to mention my favourite politician ... and i don't know what else to say! I don't think i'm going to get over this any time soon. And Joey shall hear me whine about it hereafter.

Stott Despoja set to quit
October 22, 2006

Former Australian Democrats leader, Senator Natasha Stott Despoja, has announced she will quit federal politics when her current term ends in 2008.

Senator Stott Despoja told reporters in Adelaide today she would not be nominating for the senate ticket for the next federal election, due by next year.

[...]

Senator Stott Despoja said she would continue to pursue social justice and human rights issues "in ways that enable me to spend more time with my son Conrad, especially when he reaches school age."

"The prospect of not being a legislator is heartbreaking for me: I love the cut and thrust of the parliament, the opportunities to change laws and therefore lives for the better.

"This passion has sustained me even through tough political and personal times."

Senator Stott Despoja said her commitment to the Democrats was unshakeable and she believed they could retain her senate position at the next election.

She said there was a lot more she wanted to achieve on behalf of the Democrats before her term was completed, including the passage of advanced stem cell research laws, national paid maternity leave, and greater investment in education.

The senator, who was close to tears during her announcement, did not rule out a return to parliament in the future.

She did, however, rule out any involvement in state parliament in South Australia.

- AAP

2 comments:

Joey said...

You're absolutely right, comrade...I DON'T care.

Alev said...

Why the bloody hell not!?!