Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The top 10 love quotes

By John Wright
February 14, 2006

The US Greeting Card Association estimates that, worldwide, 1 billion valentine cards are sent each year, which means 5 billion of us will miss out.

Though historians mention at least two martyred priests in ancient Rome called St Valentine linked to February 14, but the date's first association with love was in 14th century England and France, when it was the day birds traditionally paired off to mate.

So, whether you have that special mate today or not, here are my favourite top 10 love quotations:

10. There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn what it is, I'll get married again. Clint Eastwood

9. I tended to place my wife under a pedestal. Woody Allen

8. To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides. David Viscott

7. If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Dorothy Parker

6. I love you the more that I believe you have liked me for my own sake and for nothing else. John Keats

5. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye. Miss Piggy

4. It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it. W.C. Fields

3. I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it. Groucho Marx

2. Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love. Charlie Brown

1. Always get married early in the morning. That way, if it doesn't work out, you haven't wasted a whole day. Mickey Rooney

No comments: